Wednesday, December 8, 2010

How is God's power "made perfect" in our weaknesses, sufferings, and hardships as written in 2 Corinthians 12:9?

Excellent question. Let's take a look at this verse in context (looking at the verses around it too). When we do that, I think that you'll find the answer to your question.

2Cor. 12:6-10: 6 Though if I should wish to boast, I would not be a fool, for I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think more of me than he sees in me or hears from me. 7 So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

First off, this is Paul the Apostle writing. Go read Acts 9:3-22. There you'll read about Paul's conversion. During his conversion, Christ spoke to Him "literally." Scales covered his eyes and only God could open them back...and his heart was opened to the gospel as well. After that he confessed Christ. Well, in the verse that you mentioned, Paul speaks of a thorn in his flesh. Nobody is really sure what the "thorn" was but i think that its fair to say that it could have been trouble with his eyes that was a result of his conversion experience. Whatever it was, it was painful and something that was chronic (occurring constantly).

Imagine if you had pain that was unexplainable and that no doctor could cure. That's the sort of thing that Paul was going through most likely. This caused him to be even more dependent on Jesus.

Also imagine that you had actually heard Jesus talk to you and tell you how He was going to use you to change the world. *side note: He does talk to you through Scripture and tell you this. *Back on track now: He literally and audibly SPOKE to Paul. If that had happened to you, don't you think that it might give you reason to brag. "Hey, I'm a way better Christian than (fill in the blank) because Jesus loves me more...He talks to me. He gives me powers...I'm better than you are." (keep in mind that Jesus does not give us powers such as healings and such today...those were for a special use of advancing the Gospel and reserved for those apostles during that time.

Well, Paul saw his "thorn" as a gift. It reminded him of the fact that he was not "the stuff" and that the only reason that he was anything was because of Jesus. And that was all a free gift that had nothing to do with him, his goodness, or his coolness but rather Jesus choosing him and forgiving him.

This is the same for you. Jesus has chosen to use you for His kingdom. Not based on how good you are, but based on His love for you. He made it possible for you to know Him by saving you, forgiving your sins, paying your debt. He wants you to remember that He's in charge, not you. He wants you to be dependent on Him and not your "coolness" or gifts. Gifts are good, but they're all from God.

When we remember this truth, it is really another way of saying...REMEMBER TO BE DEPENDENT ON JESUS not yourself. That is what this 2 Cor 12:6-10 is teaching. When we are weak (i.e. NOT DEPENDENT ON OURSELVES, NOT THINKING THAT GOD OWES US, REALIZING THAT ALL GOOD THINGS ARE FROM HIM) then we are STRONG (STRONG IN JESUS, STRONG IN REALIZING THAT WE NEED A SAVIOR). This results in dependence on our Creator.

The world defines strength in "things, money, power, status." God defines strength as "unrelenting trust in Him for all things." That allows us to see the "things, money, power, and status" as gifts from our King that are to be used in service to Him. This frees us up to not compare ourselves to others and to REST our reputation and life in the loving hands of Jesus." Whenever we have trials, insults, hardships, we can remember that JESUS is in us and will sustain us through those trials. When we are weak, we are forced to give up...or go to Jesus. The crazy and awesome thing is that we should actually live this way ALL the time not just when we go through tough times.

Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so, little ones to Him belong, they are WEAK but He is STRONG. Yes Jesus loves me....and YOU.

Peace and I hope that this was helpful,
Derrick

No comments: